TERMS OF REFERENCE BACKGROUND
Action Network for the Disabled (ANDY) is a National Disabled Persons Organization (DPO) working at all levels of community involvement to impact positive change. ANDY is dedicated to achieving equality, inclusion and empowerment of children and youth with disability in Kenya through mainstreaming this group into all aspects of daily life. We are implementing a one-year project funded by Amplify Change on sexual reproductive health rights (SRHR) for girls with disabilities. The project will focus more on Menstrual Health Management(MHM) through creative activities such as drama, music, dance and child rights clubs’ activities.
The project aims at demystifying the menstrual process among 100 girls with disabilities and build their confidence and mentorship skills in the aforementioned institutions.
We are seeking the services of a consultant to conduct a rapid assessment survey to identify the gaps in knowledge in SRHR for girls with disabilities. The baseline survey will consist of quantitative and qualitative methods to assess knowledge, attitudes, behaviors related to SRHR and MHM.
The Terms of Reference include;
The consultant will be responsible for;
- Carrying out qualitative and quantitative data collection in the targeted schools including sampling criteria, understanding of the survey ethical protocols.
- Conducting at least 5 qualitative key informant interviews and 2 FGDs with different groups targeting head teachers, parents/ guardians, girls with disabilities age (9-17 years) to assess the gaps in knowledge on SRHR.
- Producing a comprehensive report on the gaps in knowledge on SRHR for girls with disabilities.
- Carefully documenting all data collection activities including progress, challenges and lessons learned through the process with recommendations to improve on our program’s activities.
- Prepare and submit weekly report for the assignment.
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc/BA in Public Health, Community Health, Social Science or related degree;
- Minimum of three years of relevant professional work experience in the development, planning and management of sexual and reproductive health Projects with practical experience in overseeing, monitoring, and reporting on project outcomes, as well as research preferably in an NGO/ a donor funded organization.
- Proven organizational, analytical, negotiating, communication (oral and written) skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and cross-cultural communications skills.
- Ability to prioritize, focus and deliver quality results within deadlines while meeting conflicting work demands and targets; working with or without teams with minimum supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with project stakeholders, County collaborators and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision to meet strict deadlines
Candidate must be willing to abide by Action Network for the Disabled Child Safeguarding Policy in all aspects of work.
How to apply
To apply the consultant(s) should submit an Expression of Interest of not more than 10 pages. This should contain:
- The consultant’s understanding of the ToR,
- How the consultant (s) will undertake the assignment
- How the consultant(s) meet the requirements of the assignment,
- Proposed work plan and financial proposal quoted in Kenya Shillings for the whole assignment
- CV of the lead consultant and, if quoting for an organization, attach the CV of any other personnel to be involved in the assignment
- One or two samples of relevant assignment that the consultant (s) have undertaken.
- Telephone and email contacts of at least three (3) professional referees who can validate technical expertise
All submissions, should be sent to the following email addresses email@example.com with the subject of the email as ‘Sexual and Reproductive Health Consultant’.
The closing date for submissions is Saturday 13th July 2019
Short-listed candidates will be contacted for presentations by 19th July 2019
Persons with Disabilities are HIGHLY encouraged to apply stating category of Disability to put in consideration Reasonable Accommodation needed.