Vacancy: Project Officer, Advocacy
Action Network for the Disabled (ANDY) is a national Disabled Persons Organisation working at all levels in the community with the involvement of persons with Persons with Disabilities to bring positive change. It was founded for and by children and persons with disabilities
ANDY partners with other notable organisations and persons with disabilities so as to give a voice to persons with disabilities and ensure that they are equipped with education and able to sustain themselves economically.
ABOUT THE REALIZATION OF RIGHTS OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES.
The project will strengthen the capacity of Kenyan civil society to advocate for the rights of children and young people with disabilities through bringing together a diverse coalition of DPOs, child and youth focused CSOs and influential policy makers. The coalition will share best practices and design, coordinate and implement a child and youth centered campaign to raise public awareness on the rights of children with disabilities and hold government to account on their obligations.
Report to the Executive Director.
12 Months (Renewable upon satisfactory performance and funding)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES- PROJECT COORDINATOR
You shall discharge, perform and carry out the duties and responsibilities more particularly and specifically set out, but not limited to those described in the Terms of Reference below, and they may be modified from time to time.
1. Identify and outreach to key Children & Youth with disability centred civil society and policy makers.
2. Lead the formation and coordination of a child & youth with disabilities centred civil society coalition
3. Design and deliver relevant capacity enhancement trainings to the civil society leaders in the coalition
4. Organize meetings of the coalition members and keep records for follow ups.
5. Lead advocacy activities guided by the coalitions` members
6. Act as the link between members and point of effective communication on both membership (Coalition) and advocacy issues.
7. Develop a campaign tool kit in partnership with members and continuously update for usage by the membership
8. Carry out research activities under the direction of members on issues that requires evidence before an advocacy campaign is carried out.
9. Maintain a list of members to the coalition and periodically update them
Qualifications for the Project Officer, Advocacy
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or equivalent in Project Management;
• At least 2 years of project management experience preferably in the social development sector and grasp of the project cycle management.
• Good understanding of and/or familiarity with the workings of disabled persons` organizations country wide.
• Demonstrated experience in running a successful project within a non-profit organization
• Good community engagement skills and sensitivity to the needs and experiences of marginalized communities;
• Good communication skills including great report writing, documentation and familiarity with social media platforms;
• Experience working with persons with disabilities and advocacy issues is an added advantage;
• High level of self-motivation and experience of working under one’s own initiative, as well as a member of a small, interdependent team;
• Knowledge of fundraising and resource mobilization; An ability to create and leverage networks of interest amongst different stakeholders and sectors; and an innovative and positive attitude that inspires hope and energizes marginalized communities
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit their applications as ONE document comprising a Cover Letter and a CV (each not exceeding 2 pages including contact details of three professional referees) by 3rd October 2017 to email@example.com , with the subject, PROJECT OFFICER,ADVOCACY
NB: ANDY is an equal opportunity employer, persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.